• Length must be between 1-4 minutes (no more, no less)
• Obscene material prohibited – push the envelope, but keep in mind the purpose of the video
• Prominently mention our school, give the new website, and link the information to OSU so viewers know what the video is about if unfamiliar with the OSU.
• Credits somewhere in the video (preferably at the end) list all the names of team members
• Any music or material used must be done so legally (permission from artist) – provide credit for work used. Review Creative Commons licenses on images on Flickr or other image sites.
• Write a short description and provide key words to accompany video when it goes on YouTube
• You must have at least 5 transitions and 2 graphics.
• Understand the audience – inside jokes are good, but not so much if it leaves majority out
• Be informational while entertaining, consider a humorous or musical approach
• Use other videos as inspiration, but do not completely copy content or concept
• Save and back-up all project files often
Turning the Video In
Submit your video to our Youtube page. I will view your video on YouTube. However, keep all files (the exported .mov/.avi file plus the source file (e.g., iMovie or Windows MovieMaker file) and write the video files to a CD ROM. If the team used a video editing program to edit the video, the team should turn in that project (e.g., iMovie or MovieMaker) file as well on the disk. The disk must have the final movie exported as a .mov or .avi. The short description and key words should be on the CD ROM in a text file. Drop off a copy of your CD or DVD to the Comm Arts office and ask that the disk be placed in my mailbox.
Sample Viral Videos There is no “right way” to do this project. Be creative. Do it well.
Popular viral videos can inspire (not copy):
• Motrin Moms ad
• Dear Gossip Girl
• UNC Chapel Hill Library Flash Mob
• Clarkson University rap
• Georgia Tech YouTube rap
• Snellebrate UGA rap about Snelling
• Go Green Alliance campaigns teams’ videos
• Navy flight squadron Sun Kings sing Hey Ya
• Dove “Evolution” campaign
• Smirnoff tea party and response Green tea party
Bonus Opportunity: After each video is be posted on our YouTube channel, there will also be a class competition on our facebook page. The video that receives the most likes on Facebook by the November 1st will get +2 points of adjustment to the viral video project grade. The video in second place with the second most number of views will get a +1 point adjustment to the viral video project grade.